It’s that time already! Even though the weather is still hot, it is time to start thinking about fall cleanup for your landscaping. The best time to start is in August and work through September so you have time to get all the items completed before the weather starts to get cold. And let’s face it, Ohio weather is questionable, so snow in October isn’t off the table. Getting your exterior set and ready for the cold winter by the end of September is a smart way to be done with everything so you are not working out in the cold or leaving more work for yourself in the springtime.
The easiest way to ensure that you have completed everything needed for your fall landscaping cleanup is to make a checklist. Some items might not match up with your landscaping needs, or you may need to add to this list depending on your layout and items within your landscaping. Feel free to add or remove items from this list, make it your own, and print it or save it to your device so you can easily refer back to it and make sure you don’t forget anything.
- Divide and cut back perennials and grasses
- Protect cold-sensitive plants (add mulch to the base and wrap plants in cloth barriers to prevent freeze damage)
- Plant fall bulbs, shrubs, and annuals
- Light pruning of woody ornamentals and any dead or dying branches
- Remove leaves as needed
- Clean out any debris in flower beds to prevent disease
- Clean up your vegetable garden if you have one
- Clean out gutters
- Dry out and remove water from all hoses, fountains, etc. to eliminate damaging your equipment
- Aerate your yard
- Feed your lawn
- Mulch gardens if necessary
- Protect your deck with a power wash and weatherproofing stain
- Pressure wash patios
- Clean any gardening tools and store properly
- Properly store or winterize any firepits, outdoor ovens, etc.
Enlist Help from Professionals
If this list seems daunting or time-consuming (let’s face it, we are all super busy!), you can always enlist help from the professionals at KW Landscaping in Springboro. Specializing in landscape design, build-outs, and even maintenance work, KW Landscaping has got you covered! Request a quote for the KW Diamond Service, which includes maintenance from April – November, or ask for specific items as needed, such as:
- Spring & Fall Cleanup
- Edging & Mulching
- Weeding & Pruning
- Leaf Removal
- Seasonal Color Rotations
- Spring Bulbs
- Summer Annuals
- Fall Plantings
- Maintain Turf
- Maintain Lighting
- Maintain Irrigation
- Additional Maintenance
- Snow Removal
You can also inquire about our Estate Gardening package for larger properties. Whatever your needs are, KW Landscaping can accommodate your exterior landscaping design, build, and/or maintenance.
Have questions? Give us a call! We are excited to get to know you and help you with anything you need.